EFT for Bipolar Disorder

I was wondering if anyone had experience using EFT for Bipolar Disorder. One of my in-laws has BPD and would like to try EFT. The ramifications of trying to get off her meds are daunting but something she is willing to try if there have been instances where a recovery is possible. She would most certainly see a therapist in person and see some results before weaning off of the meds and I think that is better than trying to do it herself.

Thoughts or experiences?

TIA, jcv

As I recall, EFT practitioner and author Sasha Allenby had bipolar (along with ME) and healed with the assistance of EFT.  Her web address is http://www.bodymindhealing.co.uk/index.html  EFT Master Karl Dawson has done some work with bipolar (I believe he is the practitioner who assisted Sasha with her healing).  He has developed a variant of EFT called Matrix Reimprinting (www.matrixreimprinting.com ) which he uses to assist people in their healing journey.  Perhaps you might be able to find out more from each of their websites.  I'm sure others will have experiences of their own to share, this is just a case I've heard about rather than had direct experience of.

Best wishes,

Jo

Detailed Book "You CAN Heal with EFT" available FREE from: www.selfheal4me.com

I have had direct experience in recovering from something similar which I talk about in an interview on my website. 

The most important thing is to make sure the therapist is familiar with and comfortable with working with childhood trauma, some form inner child healing and has a concept of the conflicts involved. It would also be a good idea for your relative to get an understanding of what would be involved and to be aware of their support system.

Some people I work with have a great understanding of their own responses to the past, even if some of it is beyond their ability to control and they need some assistance, others have very little real idea of their emotional landscape which makes it a little more of a challenge for them and needs much more skill on the part of the therapist.  Also I have found that rapport and safety are the most crucial components with these conditions and trying to work with someone you don't gel with is a waste of time and money and effort.

Best wishes

Gillian

Gillian Wightman

"Compassionate EFT - Safe, Gentle, Soothing Freedom"

"Above the clouds there are always blue skies"

Anxiety Forum Co-moderator
EFT CERT-1
AAMET Level 3 practitioner
EFT-ADV

www.eastneuktherapies.co.uk
gillian.myeftwebsite.com
Audios for my use of EFT for extreme anxiety and grief
Free ebook on anxiety and trauma

I belive the best approach would be to begin to incorporate EFT in healing and dealing with issues and then begin to wean the medications down.

As a parent of two adopted bipolar children, I know that any sudden discontinuation of medication can cause problems and if stopped and restarted are not always as effective again, so your relative should consider being supervised whille weaning off the meds which it sounds is going to happen. That is the best route in my experience.

There are many, many aspects of Bipolar Disorder and many of them will respond favorably to EFT. I hope she is encouraged even if it means that she cannot get off all her medication. What would be a measure of success for her for her do you think? Ameliorating mood swings and acute emotional states/anxiety or also being able to get completely off medication? That may be a useful conversation to have is my thought. Much success with this.

Nancy Rabbitt, EFT Practitioner
Co-moderator General Forum
tapwellnow@cox.net

Good advice Nancy.  I have a friend with severe bipolar and he uses EFT to sleep better and feel more relaxed in general.  He has not gone near traumas with it but just the basic mechanical tapping is improving his situation and allowing him to study and enjoy it.  If he came of his meds now it would be a disaster!  The difference between a coping tool and a cure would be huge!

Gill

Gillian Wightman

"Compassionate EFT - Safe, Gentle, Soothing Freedom"

"Above the clouds there are always blue skies"

Anxiety Forum Co-moderator
EFT CERT-1
AAMET Level 3 practitioner
EFT-ADV

www.eastneuktherapies.co.uk
gillian.myeftwebsite.com
Audios for my use of EFT for extreme anxiety and grief
Free ebook on anxiety and trauma