Asperger's Syndrome and EFT

Hello.  :)  I'm here because I'm wondering if EFT might help with one of my disabilities, Asperger's Syndrome (the other being visual impairment).  For those who don't know, Asperger's Syndrome, or AS, is on the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum.

I could make a pretty long list of the issues the AS causes for me, and I might do that at some point, but the thing I'm really wondering if EFT can address is how I experience emotions.  By that I mean, I have a tendency to *think* my emotions more than I do to *feel* them.  For example, if someone dies, I might *think* "sad" but not feel it, or not feel it as strongly as most.  Likewise, if a happy event happens, I might *think* "happy" but not feel it or not feel it very well.  That's not to say I never feel emotions strongly, but most of the time I am more apt to think them and if I do feel them they're very dull.  Except anxiety, which when it happens comes on quite strongly. 

I guess with that, comes difficulty in understanding why someone would have the emotional feelings/reactions that they do.  For example, I don't quite *get* why someone would cry at a funeral. 

I've heard of EFT a few years ago, and tried to deal with anxiety issues with it, though not sure it was too effective.  Then again, I didn't do it too religiously either, so that might contribute to that.  That was actually before we finally figured out that my issues that couldn't quite be explained by having a visual impairment were due to Asperger's.  I was 24 when diagnosed, I'm now 26. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might go about addressing the issue with EFT?  Is EFT something that is likely to help with this?

I believe that EFT will help you with many things. It may not be clear to what degree you would just have to keep at it. My adult son has Asperger's and we use EFT for his anxiety. However, it seems to be an on-going thing. Some possible set-ups might include:

ET I process feelings differently than others may I deeply and completely accept myself.

ET I may not understands the depth of others feelings, mine are no less valid than their own and I ...

ET I seem to "think" my emotions rather than feel them, I am open to the possibility of feeling them more deeply and I ...

ET having AS may cause me some difficulties, I am a worthwhile person with my own gifts and abilities and I ...

I hope that this helps you. If you can use EFT to accept who you are it may make a huge difference in how you feel about yourself and cause less anxiety.

For some reason I was thinking of an analogy to color vision. Some artists can discern 50 or more values of the same hue, normals fewer and those with red/green color blindness even fewer. But they all see in their own special way in their world and all of them can paint beautiful pictures if they so desire. We all have variations in how we experience our world and I don't believe that we can place a value judgement on it. So be an awesome Aspie and make the most of it.

P.S. As someone on the opposite spectrum of feeling things too deeply and sensitively, it isn't always that great to be unexpectedly rocked by emotion the depth of which some may not understand. I am so grateful to have EFT to help with modulating it.

Nancy Rabbitt, EFT Practitioner
Co-moderator General Forum
tapwellnow@cox.net

Thank you.  :)

"ET I may not understands the depth of others feelings, mine are no less valid than their own and I ..."

That one reminds me of something I've been wondering about EFT...

I've heard that when one does things like affirmations (not quite EFT but not too unrelated I suppose), that if you use negatives your brain will not 'hear' those words...like "I will not bite my nails" would be interpreted by the brain as "I will bite my nails" because the word not is not 'heard' by the brain.

Is it safe to assume that this is not an issue with EFT, and that words like no, not, don't, never, are okay to use in set up phrases?  

Hi AspieTapper  :-)

Great to see another Aspie on here!

I would say concentrate on the emotions that come up too strongly for you, have a policy of emergency tapping when needed (such as an anxious moment that can come on suddenly and multiply with great speed) and work on accepting yourself the way you are.  If you want more details, please feel free to email me privately.

Suzanne
EFT Cert-I, Moderator in Diseases Forum
One of the things I'm passionate about - Stop Smoking E-Book
Get your FREE EFT How-to at The Original EFT Scripts
Join us - FREE International EFT Teleclass
EFT Workshop Training Cape Town
EFT Low-Cost Workshop London
My personal blog - My EFT journey and Free tapping ideas for you

AspieTapper:

That one reminds me of something I've been wondering about EFT...

I've heard that when one does things like affirmations (not quite EFT but not too unrelated I suppose), that if you use negatives your brain will not 'hear' those words...like "I will not bite my nails" would be interpreted by the brain as "I will bite my nails" because the word not is not 'heard' by the brain.

Is it safe to assume that this is not an issue with EFT, and that words like no, not, don't, never, are okay to use in set up phrases?  

Affirmations without tapping only work if we tap in positives, and statements constructed negatively, as you know, may have the opposite effect.

EFT is not affirmations. It is more like throwing out the rubbish.  Let me quote from my mini-manual:

It is important to understand that in EFT we only briefly connect to the negative. We safely and gently dispose of it. And to dispose of it, we need to safely collect it and throw it away.

I hope it helps.  I also have a guide just for Aspies and others on the spectrum.  If you want one, just email me and I'll send it to you.

Suzanne
EFT Cert-I, Moderator in Diseases Forum
One of the things I'm passionate about - Stop Smoking E-Book
Get your FREE EFT How-to at The Original EFT Scripts
Join us - FREE International EFT Teleclass
EFT Workshop Training Cape Town
EFT Low-Cost Workshop London
My personal blog - My EFT journey and Free tapping ideas for you